Saturday, August 9, 2008

Dealing with Disappointment

Urgh! Today I hit my first hurdle, figuratively speaking, of course. (God knows, I'm not going to be jumping over literal hurdles any time soon.)

Today I started week three of my training plan. Today was the first time I actually dreaded heading to the gym. So far, I've been pretty excited by what I've been able to do. But, today, I was fearful. It felt like a big jump from last week's plan to this week's plan and I was fearful that I couldn't complete it.

And I didn't. I came close, but I just couldn't/wouldn't do it. I tried to give myself a little pep talk beforehand and during, which was hard because even the voice in my head was out of breath.

So, now I feel a little discouraged. I know that this is normal. Its okay. Monday I'll go again and this time I will be able to finish the set. But, it has gotten me thinking: this will probably not be the last time that I will not be able to meet a goal that I set for myself. What will I do when this happens again? In the past, I would probably try it one more time, and then find a reason to give up. But that's not what I am going to do now.

I am going to California in a few days, and I know that it will be a challenge for my to stick to my plan while I am there. If there were a time to quit, this would be it. But, I am not going to let myself give up.

Thanks to those of you have been reading this and encouraging me. I am very thankful.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Keep pressing on, Sharon! You're doing a great job, and I really admire you for sticking to this program like you have. Good luck in CA with the program. I know you'll do great!